Monday, July 28, 2008

pet peeves

Pet peeves....we all have them.  Silly things that bother us that we know shouldn't bother us so we don't say anything....meanwhile the pesky peeve silently torments you to the depths of your soul. Have you ever noticed that?  We smile and nod and act like we aren't bothered (because we know it's asinine), but  can hardly contain the steam between our ears...what's the deal?  How can we get over them?  Well, I can't tell you the answer to that, but I can admit my own, and then reveal my newest....

1)  incorrect pronunciation.   I have to bite my tongue SO hard not to correct people....I'm sorry people but it's not pronounced supposeBly...it's supposeDly...Oh and...will I tell you how to get to the Krogers?  NO because it's Kroger...without an S (sorry if anyone uses the incorrect pronunciation on either of these,don't take it personally....just correct it)

2)tardiness/waiting on people.  I'm prompt.  Like usually uncomfortably prompt (My parents taught me well).  So I hate being late (unless it's fashionable)....which means I hate waiting on people when we're running late.  I just don't get why you didn't get in the shower an hour ago?  You know you can't dry your hair put on make up AND get dressed in 20 minutes.  right?  (once again sorry if you're my friend and you think this might be you...no hard feelings)

and now for the world premiere....

3)Movie clappers/cheerers.  I don't know why, but I get slightly embarrassed when people cheer/clap in a movie theater.  They know this isn't live action, right?  We're all just sitting in a room watching a screen if I'm not mistaken.  I mean, it's not like [insert actor] is going to run faster/kick harder the louder you cheer. I don't know why it bothers me...it's just one of those pesky peeves.

There we have it....my pet peeves.  This was just for entertainment...So no offense to anyone.   But please change your ways.

peeved,

Jenny

4 comments:

The Wayward Budgeter said...

Jenny, it appears that you and I are certainly going to have an intersting relationship!

1. I'm notorious in my family for funny pronunciations. I correct myself as soon as I know how to say it, but I think my ears must have a few twists and turns that mess up words coming into my ears. Still, there are words that certainly get on my nerves, too (how about "definuntly" for "definitely" ... with the way people say that word, it's no wonder I couldn't spell it for most of my life!)

2. No matter how many times I logic it out, I am convinced that, yes, I can shower, do my make up, dress, AND clean my room in 20 minutes. And put gas in my car on the way ... Actually, I've really been working on this problem. My parents, unlike yours, are always late; I am trying to discard this habit that I picked up from them.

3. Ok, no big problem here. I don't usually clap or cheer (except for clapping at the end). But I actually enjoy that aspect -- it's not about the people on screen as much as it is the companionship in the audience. I have a strong appreciation for little connections with strangers.

My biggest pet peeve? People so often misuse the "so-and-so and I" phrase. "John is going to bring the cake to Amy and I." NOOOOO! "John is going to bring the cake to Amy and me." But I've learned not to cringe over it; it's so common.

I think my comment was as long as your blog post! Funny post, Jenny.

D-Al said...

My pet peeve... The hand soap that foams automatically. Are we so lazy that we can't rub our hands together to work up a lather? I HATE this soap. My hands don't feel clean after using it and I just figured out after all this time that you don't really have to add water. Let's just say that when I spend the week in a "senior living community" i need a little more power than auto-foam soap.

I just needed somewhere to vent. Thanks Jenny.

Unknown said...

Oh so funny, Jenny! I've got you on google reader now so you can add me to your audience!! :)

- Ashley

Anonymous said...

oh Jenny- this is why God made us friends and it's out of our hands.

1. I find joy in pronouncing things wrong. I don't do it to make people like you mad but I just find it funny. Supposebly you can forgive me? Maybe I could buy you dinner at the Mexicallis.

2. Well, even though I am NOT as bad as KB, I am notorious for being late. You know it and I know it and unfortunately, I haven't done much to correct this habit.

3. Well, I don't clap at theaters but I actually do enjoy embarrassing you because of that face you make. It's sort of worth it.

So why are we friends? I don't know but I love it.

As for my pet peeves:

When people use phrases wrong like calling "Hotlanta" Hot Atlanta.