Almost a year ago, my roommate and I accidentally got a house line (it was a miscommunication where i thought she wanted it and she didn't and i didn't really want it but got it cause i thought she did...) Anywho, 99% of the calls we get are "courtesy" calls.
Now there are some good causes out there. I enjoy giving my money to causes that are important to me. But it makes me a tad angry when I get suckered into giving money...it just doesn't seem right to be ANGRY about giving to a good cause. Am I right? To me it makes the giving pointless (except for the fact that it will provide for something)..I guess what I mean, I wasn't giving from the heart. I didn't WANT to give that 15$ toward breast cancer. Not that I don't support mammograms...I just don't appreciate their strategy for asking. It's almost if in their training sessions they tell them, "speak as fast as you can so they don't get a breath in, tell them all the horrifying facts, make them feel like they're the greatest people in the world, give them options for giving, but DON'T let them talk, make them think it was THEIR idea to give, and once again make them feel like their the greatest person in the world for giving to the most important cause." Such trickery.
So I end up feeling mixed emotions of anger, guilt, and impatience while on the phone. I'm ANGRY while I'm hesitantly agreeing to give.
All in all, I just don't understand who this call is a "courtesy" to. Are they being courteous in their asking? Am I being courteous in my reluctant giving? Nothing about it seems courteous.
On the flip side of all of this, does it matter if I have a giving heart? Or does it matter more that it's being given. Am I glorifying God by reluctant giving? I don't think so...but it's going toward a good cause regardless, right? So my question for all (3) of you is, what would/do you do in these situations?
reluctantly yours
2 comments:
What would i do?? I would get caller ID. Or you could do what my Dad does and just lay the phone down on the couch while they give their little speech. Eventually they hang up.
Love Allison's ideas!! My family used to just stop the person and say we were eating dinner. Just cancel the line!! But don't feel bad that you don't give!! Save your money and come see me! :)
Post a Comment